- Adopt your home or business verge and clear the drains or ditches before the rains.
- Report ditch, drain and street burning. It is toxic. Harare uses up to eight chemicals to bring our water back to “drinkable”. Water is life, let’s conserve it…Call the Director of Works Eng. P.M. Pfukwa – email@example.com – phone 772453, 791101 or 700087
- Improve your waste management at home and business. Remember the 4Rs: Reduce, Reuse, Recycle and Recover.
- Organise a street clean up and address problematic areas with your neighbours. Report all illegal dumping. Call Director of Waste Management Mr D. Chibanda on 770362/752637 or email him at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Dispose of additional home and business waste in a proper responsible way – take it to Pomona dumpsite and insist on a receipt. Remember it is a tax deductable expense!
- Sponsor or support a community clean up instead of a sponsored walk.
- Get involved with Helping Zimbabwe by planting a tree. www.helpingzimbabwe.org. A corporate social event could benefit a school, orphanage etc. with a shaded playground area or a fruit orchard.
- Encourage local vendors on your street to keep their area clean by exchanging a bin bag for their produce – moving away from aid to trade. Take time to impart a business principle for their success and make them accountable to keep their area clean. Purchase 1,000 recycled bin bags from Miracles Missions.
- Say no to burning at home and business and warn neighbours of dangers of burning plastic, rubber and rubbish.
- Inform your children, domestic and business staff about the litter laws – penalties and fines: $20 for a small load of household waste, $50 for litter from vehicles and from $250 – $5,000 for illegal dumping.
- Market and advertise with the purpose of having a positive impact and influence in the lives of our children and youth. Let’s think green and take care of our environment.
- Support the anti littering and illegal dumping campaign. Let’s sponsor a dustbin, illegal dumping signage or public notice board at shopping centres with environmental information, school recycling projects and awareness. Run community or school competitions with prizes.
- Adopt an island, roundabout or intersection – contact City of Harare.
- Sponsor an orphan teenager to be trained in waste management: emptying dustbins, keeping the streets and drains free from litter, removing the illegal dumping and burning sites, being apart of all community clean ups.
- Make a donation to Miracle Missions so we can initiate and organise a clean and green project in our city.
Read more about cleaning up Harare here.
For more info contact: Clean & Green Zimbabwe – email@example.com